Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A night at the theater


A night at the theater, originally uploaded by Buckshot77.

Watching Spring Awakening at the Civic Center. Can't beat free tickets. Funny, my boss could barely give these away. I took them just to make sure they both didn't go to waste. I still couldn't find a taker for the other so I'm enjoying the theater alone.

Review:

Wow, I really wasn't sure what to expect from the show. I read the online description of the show being about teen angst and the changes/challenges that teens go through set in 19th century Germany with a rock musical score. What's not to love about that? It definitely sounded quirky if not interesting.

I was just blown away by the time the show was over. I've seen my share of musicals/opera- Rent, Phantom, etc and this one definitely had equal staying power in my book. The musical scores and songs were awesome and even have me looking to see if I can download a few onto the IPOD. How can you go wrong with a song entitled "Totally Fucked"?! I think anyone who's ever been alive has been to the point where they just know they're in that exact spot. Beyond that, they explored such controversial topics such as teen suicide, pregnancy, sex, and the trials of school. Somehow it all just worked and was polished perfectly. Even without the free tickets, having seen it, I'd recommend buying a ticket to go see it.

The cast included some powerhouse voices (duh, it was a musical), but I was truly enchanted by the power of some of them. One gal in particular was a recent high school grad and playing the character of Martha, had one of those voices that just penetrates to your core and leaves you wishing she had more solos. Hopefully, she'll eventually put something out on her own, but wow, what a voice.

That's about it. If you're into musicals or looking for a sweet night out, go see it.

No comments: