Sunday, August 17, 2008

Breaking the barrier

I rode my bike into work today. Wait, today's a Sunday. Yup, that's right, working another Sunday. The sad thing is, it's partially of my own accord. Sure, I'm busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest, but I spend too much of my day to day time at work fucking off and reading the internets. I'm starting to suspect I may have a touch of an addiction problem. No, seriously. I chide myself pretty hard for doing it, yet I have a real problem stopping to actually get started on work stuff.

Such is life. In any case, I finally broke a barrier that had alluded me to date. I've long been looking for that magical under 30 minute commute time. The weather was perfect, there was a lack of traffic, and I felt pretty good, so I hit it. I really didn't feel like I killed myself on the way in by any means, but I kept a nice steady working pace that put me in to work about 20 seconds under the magic 30 minute mark. I was pretty surprised when I checked the stats on my garmin to see I'd finally done it. What's even more interesting is that other than some mountain biking and a good hard ride on Monday night, I really haven't done anything remotely like training for months. I'm glad I can maintain at least some good aerobic fitness during my time off even if it's not really race readiness.

I'm really looking forward to October. I figure by then, things will have calmed down enough that I can really think about getting away on vacation for a bit. I'm tossing around the idea of joining Squirrel to go up to Gnome Fest in a couple weeks. It sounds like fun even though I have no idea what it's necessarily all about. I could definitely use a weekend off by myself to decompress and let my hair down. I just don't know if it's the best idea to take it right now... Anyone else been up to the fest?

No comments: